Saturday 23 May 2015

De-Branding & Removing Windows From A Laptop


After having my trusty Toshiba Laptop for about 5 years now I've decided to totally De-Brand and remove Windows from it and turn it into a Linux Laptop.



Now when I say totally De-Brand it I'll leave a little of the original Branding like the Toshiba Branding on the back of the screen cover and on the bottom of the screen Bezel, the intel Celeron inside sticker on the left hand side of the palm rest and all the Toshiba Branded info labels on the underside and just remove the Windows 7 sticker from next to the intel sticker on the palm rest and the well worn Windows Certificate Of Authenticity sticker from the underside of the Laptop.

I then downloaded kubuntu 15.04 from the kubuntu website and then downloaded Universal USB Installer from the Pendrive Linux website. Once everything was downloaded I inserted a 32GB SD Card into the Laptops built in Card Reader and created a bootable kubuntu image to install kubuntu onto  my Laptop.

Once my Laptop was ready I removed the Windows 7 sticker from my Laptop.

Laptop prior to removing the Windows 7 sticker

Laptop after removing the Windows 7 sticker

I then added a Ubuntu sticker that I purchased on etsy.

Ubuntu sticker prior to being added to my Laptop

Ubuntu sticker after being added to my Laptop 
I could have just stopped there and left the Windows Certificate Of Authenticity sticker on the bottom of my Laptop, but since it's well worn it'd spoil my clean looking De-Branded look.

Underside of Laptop prior to removing the Windows 7 Certificate Of Authenticity

Underside of Laptop after removing Windows 7 Certificate Of Authenticity
I could just leave it there but I'm on the lookout for a Ubuntu Keyboard sticker to place over the Windows Start button on the Keyboard.

The Laptop has been upgraded from its original specification to 4GB of RAM, 1TB HDD and an intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Dual Stream, Dual Band Wireless card and a new high capacity Battery, but I might add a new Keyboard at the same time as De-Branding the Windows key to make it look cleaner.

Roland


No comments:

Post a Comment

Advertisement

BBC News - Sheffield & South Yorkshire